Drill pipe tool joint hardbanding
Drill pipe tool joint hardbanding
Hardbanding is wear-resistant metallic coating applied by gas metal arc welding on external surface of drill pipe tool joints in order to increase tool joint service life and to reduce casing string wear.
Types of hardbanding:
- Raised hardbanding (PROUD)
- Flush hardbanding (FLUSH)
- Hardbanding on central upset of Drill Collar and Heavy Weight Drill Pipe
- Protects drill pipe tool joint against abrasion and wear and extends DP service life.
- Protects tool joint against thermal cracking.
- Reduces casing wear.
- Reduces drilling friction losses.
- Hardbanding allows the use of slim OD welded tool joints.
Regulating and technical documentation:
Hardbanding is applied in compliance with the following normative and technical documentation prepared by experts of OOO Temerso-Engineering:
- Castolin Eutectic hard alloy hardbanding application procedure approved per NS-2™
- TU 1324-003-62031850-2015 Duraband®NC wear-resistant hardbanding on drill pipe tool joints
- Duraband®NC and Tuffband®NC hard alloy hardbanding application procedure approved per NS-1™
- ARNCO technical manual for hardbanding application
- TU 1324-002-62031850-2012 BoTn3000 wear-resistant hardbanding on drill pipe tool joints
- Permanent facility (manufacturer’s site, Kamensk Uralskiy city).
- Mobile facility (Customers’ site).
- Hardbanding is applicable to drill pipe of all sizes and grades.
- Hardbanding may be applied on new and used tubulars.
- Hardbanding can be applied on drill pipe tool joints made per GOST R 54383-2011 and GOST R 50278-92 or per technical specifications of national pipe mills, and on drill pipe tool joints made per API Spec 5DP.
- Hardbanding may be applied on drill pipes with various types of tool joints, including double-shoulder tool joints.
- Hardbanding may be applied on cold-resistant drill pipe and on sour-service DP.
- Hardbanding can be applied on tubulars of the following types and sizes:
pipe body OD 60 to 168 mm, length up to 12 m, OD of welded tool joints per DP documentation.
- Hardbanding is applied on upsets of HWDP, on tool joint areas of HWDP and DC of all types and sizes. Hardbanding is also applied on central upset of HWDP and DC.
- Hardbanding can be applied on tool joints before they are welded to drill pipe.
Savings generated by the use of drill pipe with hardbanding:
- Drill pipe service life is extended up to 3 times.
- Tool joint wear is reduced by 6–15 % depending on type of hardbanding applied.
- Casing wall wear is reduced by 14–20 % as compared to wear caused by plain tool joints.
- Reduces well friction losses.
- Required rotary torque is reduced, thus reducing energy consumption.
- Improves drilling performance.
- Reduces drilling time.
- Reduces frequency of drill string and casing string failures in drilling operations.
Advantages for customers choosing our Company:
- We are certified to apply hardbanding by leading hardbanding wire manufacturers (Castolin Eutectic, DURABAND NC, TCS Titanium, ARNCO, BoTn).
- Vast market experience, positive customer feedback, in-house specifications for application of hardbanding.
- Tool joints are induction-heated in preparation for hardbanding, which guarantees even tool joint heating over the entire heat-affected zone and prevents defects after hardbanding operation is completed.
- Hardbanding can be applied on DP tool joints of any size, as well as on CENTRAL upsets and tool joints of HWDP and DC.
- Hardbanding may be applied on new and used DP tool joints, and the process may be repeated several times.
- Hardbanding can be applied in manufacturing facility and at Customer’s SITE.
- Hardbanding can be applied repeatedly.
- In-house laboratory testing of hardbanding features and properties.
Non-cracking hardbanding for DP tool joints serves to extend tool joint service life and offers exceptional casing string protection.
DURABAND NC® is used for protection of tool joints both inside casing and in open‑hole drilling.
Postalloy® DURABAND® NC hardbanding wire is intended for gas metal arc welding. It is provided with metal core and is designed specifically for application of hardbanding that does not produce cracks and resists severe wear. Microstructure of DURABAND® NC represents a matrix of hard yet ductile tool steel with a large volume of tightly packed metal carbides. These combined properties ensure excellent wear resistance in open-hole drilling, as well as casing string protection, and will not result in delamination or spalling. Metal weld deposit is smooth and dross-free. DURABAND® NC wire may be used on top of an earlier layer or on top of TUFFBAND® NC material, provided the surface was thoroughly cleaned and inspected. To apply this material on top of other hardbanding materials used earlier, these must be removed, or Company’s technical department shall be contacted concerning process recommendations.
Ductile hardbanding overlay that does not produce cracks and is intended for intensive wear and exposure to dynamic forces.
TUFFBAND® NC material may be used on its own for casing string wear protection, or with tungsten carbide additive for open-hole drilling to ensure maximum protection of DP tool joints.
Postalloy® TUFFBAND® NC electrode wire is intended for gas metal arc welding. It is provided with metal core, has high hardness and is especially efficient in open-hole drilling in combination with tungsten carbide additive (WC).
TUFFBAND® NC material is used without tungsten carbide additive when intended for casing string wear protection.
Microstructure of the product represents a matrix of hard yet ductile tool steel, which does not cause damage to casing string and can be applied on top of an earlier layer. TUFFBAND® NC wire may be applied above existing layer, provided the surface was thoroughly cleaned and inspected. To apply this material on top of other hardbanding materials used earlier, these must be removed, or our technical department shall be contacted concerning process recommendations
BoTn 3000, BoTn 5000 welding wire for reinforcement of drill pipe. Certificate of Chinese certification authority confirms that BoTn 3000 and BoTn 5000 offer high performance properties that correspond to the level of recognized world leaders in hardbanding.
- ВoTn3000 and BoTn 5000 offer a balance of hardness and sufficient wear resistance, and excellent anti-seize properties, as they reduce friction of DP joints against casing walls and borehole. They protect both drill pipe and casing string.
- Maximum protection of drill pipe is achieved due to optimized hardness and superior wear resistance. BoTn 3000 and BoTn 5000 wire hardbanding extends service life of DP tool joints up to 3 times.
- Hardbanding may be applied on new or used DP, HWDP or DC tool joints or on other tool surfaces to reduce wear and extend service life thereof.
- Reduction of friction helps reduce drill string torque
Arnco 350ХТ is metal-powder wire that produces hard (over 60 RHc), solid non‑cracking coat that offers high wear resistance and low casing string wear coefficient.
Such exceptional durability combined with low casing string wear coefficient and the cracking-free properties is achieved due to metallurgy based on carbides and borides that produce granular structure with tightly-packed solid particles embedded in solid ductile matrix. Matrix stress is reduced owing to the small size of carbides and borides, which helps produce a non-cracking coat of with excellent durability.
350ХТ material can be easily applied on new tool joints or above its earlier layer unlimited number of time without the need to remove the old coat. This material can be also applied on top of Arnco 100XT and 150XT, or most competition products using appropriate procedures and evaluation of previous layer.
Applied 350ХТ produces smooth non-cracking coat with only minor amount of spatter to be removed post welding.
High-quality ARNCO BUXT metal-powder wire is intended for restoring of tool joint ODs. It is ideal for hardbanding of all common high-carbon steel grades used in manufacture of drilling tools. ARNCO BUXT™ produces straight and smooth weld free of cracks or spalling.
The overlay is easily lathed, conforms to mechanical properties of DP tool joint and ensures performance properties comparable with those of a new tool joint.